How NOT to Look Your Age
Aging is inevitable. Unless scientists eventually develop a time machine, there’s no way around it. But just because you’re getting older doesn’t mean you have to look the part. With the right men’s anti-aging products, you can slow down the appearance of men’s wrinkles and keep your skin looking great for years to come.
What are wrinkles?
Wrinkles are lines or creases that develop on your skin as it loses its elasticity. Many factors affect your skin’s elasticity – lifestyle and sun exposure, for example – but the most common culprit is aging. As you get older, your skin doesn’t produce as much elastin and collagen, which are proteins that keep your skin taut. Because of this decrease in production, your skin no longer stretches as well and starts to sag, resulting in wrinkles.
How to Reduce the Appearance of Men’s Wrinkles
Here are some simple anti-aging tips to help encourage collagen and elastin production and reduce the appearance of wrinkles on your skin.
1. Use an anti-wrinkle cream with retinol. Research has shown that retinol is one of the most effective ingredients in the fight against aging signs. Regular use of a men’s anti-wrinkle cream with retinol and other dermatologist-recommended ingredients may help prevent wrinkles and minimize existing ones. Just make sure not to use just any anti-aging cream around the eye area. You want a cream specifically designed to work in that delicate area, such as MenScience Eye Rescue Formula.
2. Don’t smoke. We all know that smoking is terrible for your health, but it’s particularly bad for your skin. Smoking releases enzymes that hinder collagen and elastin production and contribute to premature wrinkles. Cut down or – better yet – quit altogether. You’ll do your skin and body a favor by putting a stop to this bad habit. Check out “6 Habits Hurting Your Skin” for a list of other bad habits to break.
3. Protect your skin from the sun. Like we mentioned earlier, sun exposure is a leading cause of premature wrinkles. If you live in a hot climate or spend a lot of time outside, apply an SPF 30 sunblock before heading out. A broad spectrum sunblock blocks UVA/UVB rays that can age skin – not to mention, give you sunburn. “Protect Your Skin from Sun Damage” has more tips on preventing sun-related skin damage.
4. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are packed with antioxidants that help fight free radical damage, which can accelerate the appearance of wrinkles and other aging signs. Citrus, in particular, is packed with vitamins that support optimal skin health. You can also get antioxidants from other sources, such as men’s nutritional supplements. A men’s antioxidant supplementprovides an ideal dose of antioxidants while keeping calories to a minimum. Read “Antioxidants and Aging” for more information.
5. Sleep on your back. Sleeping on your sides or face down crumples your face against the pillow, which creates sleep lines on the skin. These superficial lines can eventually becoming permanent wrinkles so you should always sleep on your back to prevent their formation. Read “How Sleep Affect’s Men’s Health” for more information on how to use sleep to your skin’s advantage.
6. Use a men’s face scrub. A men’s face scrub like Microfine Face Scrubexfoliates skin, getting rid of dead skin cells and encouraging the growth of new ones. A face scrub for men also helps smooth fine lines to minimize their overall appearance. No need to use a men’s face scrub every day – just twice or three times a week is enough. Don’t know the difference between a face wash and a face scrub? Check out “Men’s Face Wash vs. Men’s Face Scrub: Which Should You Use?” to learn the differences.