When we think of men’s skin care, our face tends to hog most of the spotlight. Other parts of our body like our hands don’t get the attention they deserve – and it shows. Your hands undergo constant stress throughout the day, whether you’re typing away on a computer or slaving away at a construction site. Here are five tips you can use to take better care of your hands and promote overall healthy-looking skin.
1. Hydrate your hands. Everyday activities can leave your hands dry and rough. One way to combat these rough patches on your hand is through moisturizing. Using a men’s body lotion 1-2 times a day on your hands can restore moisture levels and reduce the appearance of dry, cracked skin on your hands; make sure your oil-free body lotion contains hyaluronic acid to avoid a greasy appearance.
2. Hot water is your enemy. Washing your hands with hot water is great for killing germs, but it’s terrible for your skin. Hot water can rob your skin of moisture and contribute to dry skin symptoms like redness and roughness. Instead of hot water, opt for lukewarm water or even cold water. Your hands will thank you.
3. Protect your hands from the elements. If you plan on being outside for an extended period of time, it’s important to always wear a sunblock with at least SPF 30 protection. This will significantly reduce your risk of developing sun-related skin damage like sunburn and sun spots. If it’s cold out, wear gloves or other protective gear to keep your hands out of harm’s way. You should also protect your hands when gardening or doing other types of intensive labor.
4. Give your hands a deep clean with an exfoliating scrub. Because the skin on your hands is thinner than on other parts of your body, it’s more susceptible to damage — especially aging signs. Using a men’s body scrub on your hands 2-3 times a week can help maintain your hands’ youthful appearance and leave them soft and supple. “Exfoliation 101” lists the many benefits of using an exfoliating scrub for hand care.
5. Treat brown spots with a retinol cream. As you age, liver spots may start appearing on your hands. To minimize age spots, consider using MenScience Pigmentation Repair Formula. This men’s dark spots cream contains a powerful concentration of retinol, one of the most effective anti-aging ingredients on the market. Regular use can diminish these unsightly spots and balance your skin tone.
6. Get a manicure. Manicures aren’t just for women anymore. More and more men are turning to professional services to keep their hands and nails tidy and trim; well-groomed hands go a long way in a world where handshakes and first impressions matter. Try it out. If you like it, make it a regular thing. If you end up hating it, then don’t do it again. No harm, no foul.