Men’s feet are pretty low-maintenance, but they can still benefit from some basic foot care. After all, nobody likes funky feet. Rough skin, bad odor and nasty nails are big turn-offs – ask anyone. Keep your feet in great form with these best foot care tips for men.
1. Condition your feet with men’s body moisturizer. Hydrating your feet with a body lotion like MenScience Advanced Body Lotion is critical to keeping rough, dry patches and calluses at bay. Apply Advanced Body Lotion immediately after showering to maximize moisture absorption and prevent dry skin. If you already suffer from dry patches, moisturizing your feet 1-2 times a day can dramatically improve their appearance.
2. Wash between your toes. A lot of guys don’t pay much attention to their feet, even in the shower. The area between your toes traps dirt easily and is a breeding ground for bacteria; athlete’s foot may develop if you don’t regularly clean between your toes. So use a liquid cleanser like MenScience Daily Body Wash all over your feet to keep them clean and reduce your risk of foot hygiene problems; mass-market bar soaps are notorious for drying out skin.
3. Wear shoes that fit. Rough skin on your feet is usually the result of wearing shoes that are too tight. The tightness creates friction that can contribute to calluses. Your feet need space so get shoes that fit properly and have soft padding to reduce your risk of calluses and corns. You should also be using shoes that are appropriate for whatever activity you’re doing. For example, you shouldn’t be wearing regular sneakers when you’re going hiking unless you’re asking to get hurt.
4. Trim your nails the right way. When you trim your toenails, make sure you’re trimming them straight across and not rounded. Rounded nail-cutting can increase your risk of ingrown toenails, which is pretty painful. Also, trim your toenails at regular intervals. Your toenails can become extremely long, increasing their risk of breaking and becoming infected.
5. Exfoliate 2-3 times a week. Using a men’s body scrub on your feet can help remove dull buildup and other debris that can attract bacteria. A body scrub like MenScience Advanced Body Scrub uses microfine exfoliating particles to deep clean your feet and leave them feeling refreshed – it’s an experience like no other.
6. Wear sandals or shoes in communal locations like the gym or public showers. The warm, humid floor of the locker room is swarming with bacteria, so always wear something on your feet at these types of public places. You have no idea what type of germs might be lurking; lack of footwear in these locations can increase your risk of athlete’s foot and other fungi-related conditions.
7. See a podriatrist or dermatologist. Sometimes, you can benefit from the professional advice of a foot doctor or skin doctor. This is especially true if you notice signs of infection like yellow toenails. Always consult your physician before using any men’s skincare product if you have a history of skin problems.
8. Use a men’s body powder. Using a body powder on your feet can help absorb excess moisture and soothe skin. A body powder is especially useful for athletic men – it can help prevent and relieve skin discomfort associated with exercise.